We eat bananas all the time, but it seems like the last one or two in the bunch start getting brown before we get to them. I hate wasting them, so making banana bread is always a tasty option and it’s a good snack for the kids. I have two really good recipes, but one I’ll post another time. This one is adapted from Mel’s Kitchen Cafe.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup mashed bananas (2-3 average size bananas)
- 4 tablespoons buttermilk*
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- Grease and flour** a large loaf pan (9×5 inch).
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar. Add eggs, bananas, buttermilk and vanilla. Mix well. Add in the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Mix until well combined. Pour batter into greased and floured pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
*Pour 1 1/2 teaspoons vinegar into a 1/2 measuring cup. Fill the rest of the way with milk. Let it sit for 5 minutes. Take out the 4 tablespoons needed.
** For extra deliciousness, use sugar instead of flour.