Oh my word, I cannot begin to tell you how good these waffles with this syrup was. We just might be making a change to our Saturday morning pancake routine. It all started with talk with the hubby about what he could get me for Christmas. Somehow a waffle maker came up and that’s one of the gifts he got for me, and I looooove it!
It all starts with this pretty yellow waffle maker.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 Tablespoons white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups warm milk
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, salt, baking powder and sugar, set aside. Preheat waffle iron to desired temperature.
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs. Slowly stir in the milk. Then add in the butter and vanilla. Pour the milk mixture into the flour mixture. Mix until well combined.
- Ladle the batter into a preheated waffle iron. Cook the waffles until golden and crisp. Keep warm on a plate with napkins under and over the cooked waffles to keep them crisp while you finish the batter. Cover with tinfoil. Serve immediately.
Next time I plan on making double so I can freeze the extras and pull them out when we need a quick breakfast. Now on to the amazing syrup…
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- In a large saucepan, bring buttermilk, sugars and butter to a boil over medium heat. Remove from heat and whisk in soda and vanilla. It will bubble up a lot. Serve over warm pancakes or waffles.