This is one tasty chocolate cake. I just made this last week for my daughter’s 5th birthday. She loves chocolate and is always asking for it. So of course for her birthday, she asked for chocolate cake with chocolate frosting. This is my go-to recipe for chocolate cake.
My little princess and her friend
We had a fun little celebration. Confetti makes it feel like a party for sure!
Makes one 4 layer 9 inch cake
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup boiling water
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
- 5 – 5 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 F (180 C) degrees. Grease and flour two 9 inch cake pans.
- Combine the sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Add the eggs, milk, oil and vanilla and mix thoroughly until well combined. If using an electric mixer, mix for 3 minutes on medium speed. Add in the boiling water and stir slowly by hand. Pour evenly into the prepared pans. I add a cup at a time into each pan, so I can get it as even as possible.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes in the preheated oven, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to cool completely.
- To make the frosting, cream the butter until light and fluffy. Stir in the powdered sugar and cocoa alternately with the milk and vanilla. Beat until you have a nice spreading consistency.
- Spit the layers of cooled cake horizontally. Place one layer at a time onto a serving plate. Cover the top of each layer of cake with about 1/2 cup. After the last layer cover the top and the sides with frosting and smooth it out.
Recipe adapted from allrecipes.com