One of my husband’s favorite dishes is salmon, and I have really grown to love it too. When I first found this recipe, it sounded a little strange to pair fish with cheese, but it works great! I thought fish was best cooked with lemon, but that is really just a starting point. The layers that sit on top of it do a good job of keep it tender and moist and turn it into something really delicious.
- 2 pound salmon fillet
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup mayo
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 Tablespoon mustard
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup Mozzarella cheese (your favorite kind will work, I usually use Gouda), shredded
- Preheat your oven to 400 F (200 C). Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Place the salmon on the foil covered sheet, skin side down. No greasing necessary, the skin will stick and you’ll be able to scoop the fish right off.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Layer the onions on the fish, so it covers the surface completely.
- In a small bowl, mix the mayo, lemon juice, mustard and garlic. The mixture should be thin enough to easily spread over the onions. Cover the onions with the mayo mixture and spread it out evenly.
- Top with the cheese. Sprinkle a little dill or parsley over the cheese.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until the fish flakes easily with a fork.
Recipe adapted from Olga’s Flavor Factory