I was looking for some new ideas for salads and came across this one from Mel’s Kitchen Cafe. I decided to give it a try, because it wasn’t your normal lettuce salad. I wanted something different and this one didn’t let me down. The original recipe calls for cooked rice as well, but for one reason or another I didn’t add it the first I made it and I didn’t miss it either. I’ve been making it without ever since and it’s so delicious! Also, black beans are not always on the shelves here, so white beans were a good substitute. The same goes for the corn and cilantro, if you have fresh, use it! I, unfortunately, am not able to find those ingredients in Siberia all the time, so I use what I can find.
Don’t let a bean salad scare you away, give this one a try! The dressing makes this salad a hit!
For the salad-
- 1 (15 ounce or 420 grams) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce or 420 grams) can white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce or 400 grams) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced (any color works great)
- 1 Tablespoon dried cilantro
For the dressing-
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- In a large bowl, add all of your salad ingredients and mix together.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients and pour over the salad. Stir to combine. Chill the salad for at least an hour before serving.
This salad really does get better the longer it sits.